Why is Loughton, and its surrounding area, such a great place to live?
There is a great choice of quality accommodation with prices generally less than North West London.
Historically, most Jewish families came into England through the London docks and settled in the East End of London.
- They gradually moved out to Hackney and Redbridge which is close to Loughton.
- Until quite recently, Redbridge had the largest Jewish community in Europe.
The town has a great mix of local boutiques and stores such as Marks and Spencers and WH Smith. Queens Road in Buckhurst Hill and Epping also have a variety of boutique shops to explore.
There are several shopping malls within a short drive or train journey including
- Westfield Stratford, Lakeside and Bluewater.
- Brent Cross is just a trip round the North Circular.
- Cambridge is less than an hour away.
East London Developments
East London is receiving a disproportionately high level of investment. Many City firms have moved to Docklands.
Loughton has no through-traffic but is close to
- The M11, M25 and the North Circular Road.
- Loughton Station – Central Line.
- Stansted and London City Airports.
Stratford has become a railway hub with mainline trains into Liverpool Street from Essex and East Anglia. The London Overground travels round to North London. The Underground lines are the Central and Jubilee and there is the DLR to the City and South London. One station further down the Central Line at Mile End – just cross the platform for the District and Metropolitan lines.
- Stratford International Station is on the ‘Underground’ to Paris and Brussels.
- Crossrail is due to open in 2017 providing a link from Stratford to Paddington and Heathrow.
- Dover is less than a couple of hours away with the M25 and M20. France and Belgium are in range for a day-out.
- To the East of Docklands is the City Airport. Stansted Airport is less than 30 minutes away up the M11
Loughton is in Epping Forest which provides numerous opportunities for walking, running and horse riding. There are many beauty spots including Connaught Water. The River Roding has a riverside path to a lake. To the west is the Lee Valley Regional Park.
Cambridge is a city that provides world renowned colleges, an historical shopping centre and parks to explore. It is less than an hour away on the M11.
Loughton has a relaxing atmosphere which may account for it having one of the highest life-expectancies in the country. (http://www.oneeppingforest.org.uk/documents/LoughtonRoding.pdf)
It is situated in Epping Forest which has numerous beautiful places for walking and running.
- Golf : Abridge, Loughton Golf Club, Woolston Manor Golf and Country Club.
- Tennis and Gym: David Lloyd (Chigwell)
- Swimming and Gym: Loughton Leisure Centre.
- Virgin Active Health Club – Repton Park
David Viniker Hon.Sec.